Winter Storm

I am not a huge fan of winter. I don't mind the cold; I can deal with that. Just add layers and problem solved. I don't so much care for the snow and those nasty winter storms. They make life just a little more difficult in almost every way.
Now living in Michigan this is just something that I have grown accustom to having to deal with and get used to. Whether you are having to shovel your car out of a snow bank or hitting the gas and hoping that your car will make it out.

Now the being stuck made me think: what about the winter storms in our daily walk with Christ. Should we just want to get accustom to them? Just go through the normal winter routine, or even just sleep walk through another season till you come to one that you like better? Unfortunately, I'd have to say that is what most of us do. Myself included in that statistic. It's easy; I am well aware.

We can't just pick the seasons we like, and hide through the others that we don't. I have and have had seasons that I would rather just stay inside or just sleep till I can make it to the next one. I wish that wasn't the case. I am going to tell you that more often than not a storm would come, and I would think that it was a punishment for something that I had done. I deserved the storm because I had failed in my Christian walk. That is NOT the case at all. We don't do anything wrong when a storm comes. It might be a lesson or the evil one trying his very best to knock you down. If he is, then it means you are a threat to him. That is a good thing!
But as much as I say that I know that it isn't an easy thing to believe. I still have moments where I really need to remind myself of that. It would be helpful if humanity was more willing to be supportive and help each other. But this is not the times in which we find ourselves. Don't get me wrong there are people out there that restore my faith in humanity.
Lucky for us we have someone that is willing to support us and guide us through the storms of life all the time. He is there to help us not just go through the normal mundane routines of the winter months. But we have to be willing to do some of the work as well. He won't do it all for us.

We need to stay in the Word. I've found that this is huge. It makes the difference sometimes between having a good or bad day.  I will be the first to say this is not and easy thing to get committed to doing on a regular basis. But once you do, you find that you are always wanting more. That is the key. Wanting more, diving further into God's word that is what keeps us from the mundane. It makes any season become less intimidating and cold. Here the fire starts to be rekindled, the mittens are found, and the storm starts to die out.
This doesn't mean that you will face another storm because trust me others will come. But you will be stronger and more ready to face the next one.

"Glory in his holy name; let the hearts of those who seek The LORD rejoice. Look to the LORD and his strength; seek his face always."    -Psalm 105:3,4

Comments

Popular Posts