There's no Switch

I'm sure, more so now, that I was not the only one who had a difficult 2018. I don't mean like it ended badly; I mean like the whole year was a train wreck. For a long time, I was certain, I was the only one who was being shot at from all sides all year long. Then as the end of the year approached, I began to notice many of the people I follow on social media were in the exact same boat. And yes, I use social media. Judge away about how it's bad or what not, your opinion is none of my business. Any how, I found so many friends and people were struggling like I was if not even more. I am not saying this like I got a bad grade and the word ended. No. I am talking like you've lost a job, got divorced, had your heart broken (maybe you had it broke twice), maybe you lost someone. Friend, you are not alone. I'll be the first to tell you, I had almost that entire list happen to me. I get where you are coming from and how you are feeling or felt. It feels like no one sees you or understands. Like for every bail of water you take out of your boat, more keeps pouring in. It's a hard maybe even dark place. A season you wish you weren't walking through.

Now some of you reading this, none of this relates to you and that's alright. It means you had a good or even great 2018. Perhaps you got engaged, got married, had a baby, got that promotion if so, Congrats! That's awesome and I am so happy for you. Celebrate the amazing year you had. I sincerely mean it, celebrate it. I would however encourage you to keep reading because you may one day find yourself in a different season of life.

You see season of life much like seasons of the year, CHANGE. They do not last, no matter how difficult or long it seems, it will not last. It is worth mentioning that they aren't called seasons for nothing. Meaning there isn't a switch that you can flip and instantly life gets better, or there is no designated date where the season ends. So let's stop here and address the most famous light switch we have created. NEW YEAR'S. Ya'll January 1st is not the day were life instantly changes or turns around. My rough season, ok straight miserable season didn't just end on Jan. 1st. Let's be real about this. Look at winter, because I am from the frozen tundra and this season likes to stick around. Winter arrives when it wants too and it is never on the same day from year to year. It also sticks around far longer than we would like. But that goes for any season you could pick; they all come and go gradually.

Unless you live in Michigan where sometime you get all 4 seasons in one day because Michigan likes to show off from time to time. 

But minus Michigan showing off it is a gradual progression in and out. Life is the same. Yes, I wish there was a switch some days, heck that would make life easy, but that isn't how life works. I also know that one day does not make or break you. I mean how many of those memes have we already seen about how "I've already done messed up 2019, welp maybe next year." Slow down Susan, you whole year doesn't go down the drain because of one mistake. But really friend, seasons come and seasons go. Lets laugh at the memes, but not take them to heart. I've gone through my share of good and bad ones. If I am honest, I'm still in my rough season right now. Yes, it is gradually making it's way out, but there are still days were things are hard and memories of the pain are still fresh. I'm not always a mess (I definitely was for two months) most days now I have it together. That doesn't mean I have the answers, gosh don't ask me for an outline to survive because it would probably involve lost of Tropical Smoothie and Starbucks. What I can offer is somethings that helped me.


  1. Obviously lost of Starbucks and Tropical Smoothie. Sometimes when having a particularly bad day, you just need a pick me up. Find something affordable that works. And remember, this isn't for the everyday. I did say affordable.
  2. Find something to take your mind off it. For myself it was working out. It allowed me a few minutes/hours to focus on not dying from heat (hey Florida) or thinking about how much I was sweating instead of the bad.
  3. Believe in something. Whatever that looks like for you. I had faith that God would get me though. He'd never failed me before, so He wouldn't start now. Yes, I've been through pain, but I have learned God loves me too much to answer my prayers at any other time than at the right time and in any other way than the right way. I believe that having faith and hope will get you out of bed every morning. It will keep you going because you believe/know something good is going to happen. 
Friend, hold onto the hope and the knowledge that seasons change. They do not last forever. Keep a look out for the breeze will start to blow in the next chapter of life before you know it.

Comments

Popular Posts